I have to admit that I’m not much of a breakfast person, but this homemade granola I actually look forward to and is so easy to make and is a great when you’re in a hurry (or feeling a bit lazy) to stop you reaching for the standard toast or cereal which lacks the essential nutrients our body needs.
A great blend of protein, healthy fats and complex carbs, this will help to fill you up and sustain you until lunchtime.
HEALTHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA
150g rolled oats
100g mixed raw nuts, chopped
100g mixed seeds (pumpkin, chia, sunflower etc)
100g dried fruit, chopped (I like a mixture of raisins, cranberries and apricots)
3-4 tablespoons honey
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 large pinch fine sea salt
1. Melt the coconut oil in a pan and add the honey, coconut oil and vanilla and mix well.
2. In a large bowl mix together the oats, nuts, seeds and sea salt.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and stir well until fully coated.
4. Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes in a medium oven, until very lightly toasted.
5. Add the chopped fruit and stir well.
6. Serve with 100g greek or coconut yoghurt or add unsweetened almond milk to taste.
This can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.