I made this with the vegetables I had in the fridge this weekend, and it tastes delicious! Packed with nutrients, as well as being warming and comforting on a cold day. The roasted squash really adds to the flavour!
Root Vegetable and Kale Soup
1 x butternut squash
2 x carrots, chopped
1 x onion
1 x sweet potato
Large handful of kale
Sea salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Slice the butternut squash in half, scrape out the seeds and place on a baking tray.
- Put in the oven and roast for 45 minutes until cooked through.
- Chop the onion and carrots and peel and chop the sweet potato.
- Once the butternut sqaush is cooked through, add a tablespoon of oil to a large saucepan and saute until starting to brown.
- Add the carrots and cook for a few mins until starting to soften.
- Add 500ml vegetable stock to the pan along with the sweet potato and mixed herbs. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Chop the cooked butternut squash, and add to the pan along with the kale, simmer for another 10 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
- If the soup looks too thick, add a little bit more water.
- Put 3/4 of the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add back to the rest of the mixture so it’s still a bit chunky.
- Serve sprinkled with some sea salt and pepper.
Want more recipes like this? Download my Hormone Balancing Recipe Guide here.